Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Caribbean Coast at the Zoo

Today we went to the zoo to see the stingrays. It was so awesome! It's a travelling exhibit so we made sure to see it before it left. Since Max is on a pretty structured routine right now, we only had about an hour to go look at the stingrays. Fortunately, we live super close to the zoo. Once we got there we made a beeline to Caribbean Cove and just had a blast. I really wanted to be there for feeding time and we were. Unfortunately, we didn't have a dollar to buy food but all the food in the water seem to make the rays more frisky.

Carl and I both were surprised by the stingray's texture. Their wings were soft but the edges were very solid and could deliver a solid hit. Their skin was a bit leathery yet supple; it's very difficult to describe. I must admit, the first few times a stingray came close to my hand, I freaked out a little bit.

I have this weirdness about sea creatures and I am not sure why. Maybe I have watched one to many Shark Weeks in my lifetime...who can tell? After my initial apprehension faded, I really enjoyed petting them. Carl did a great job balancing Max while leaning over the side of the pool so he could pet the stingrays. Afterwards we had to sanitize everything within Max's grasping range so he wouldn't get stingray nasty in his mouth. We had Germ-Ex up to our elbows and the wrist strap for the camera is now in the washing machine!

Max is such a funny little guy. I just put him down for bed and he fought it the whole time. He tried to finesse his way out by smiling and cooing at me. When that didn't work, he rolled around the crib and banged the sides looking for weaknesses in the slats. When that attempt yielded no results, he cried and whined. Eventually he gave up and went to sleep. He does that. Every night. For up to 30 minutes. I always heard that kids taught their parents patience but I had no idea that bedtime would be such a learning experience.

Anyway, back to the stringrays. What is your favorite memory of an encounter with a sea creature. Leave your answer in the comments.

3 comments:

sarah said...

So far since our move we've seen dolphins and seals (or they could be sea lions - hard to say) swim by in the ocean.

April said...

Amy and I scavenged for sea creatures on the beaches of Oregon and found a little black crab that we named Xander. And a big king crab that was dead. We brought them both back to our lodgings. Why? I do not know.

Alisha Stamper said...

when i was 8yrs old or less, i was selected to pet a dolphin at the baltimore acquarium during the big daytime show. i was wearing a little mermaid sweater.

ALSO, bc of my sister's illness, we went to florida with make a wish (i was young then as well). we got to play with shamu and make him do tricks with the trainers. THAT was awesome.