Thursday, July 16, 2009

Real Kids Don't Eat Broccoli

Does anyone remember Tiny Toons? I used to love watching that show every day after school. In one episode, Buster must figure out who is an alien and who isn't. Of course, he does a smashing job based on this maxim: "Real kids don't eat broccoli."

I hadn't thought about that show until last night. Carl and I had the missionaries over for dinner so I actually made a whole dinner(usually it's just the main dish since I am always running behind schedule). We had salad, Parmesan-poppy seed broccoli, garlic bread, and feta stuffed chicken. I timed everything just right so that all the dishes were done at the exact same moment. It was a beautiful thing. Feeling rather pleased with myself, we sat done to enjoy our sumptuous feast. This was our conversation as dinner began:

Ashley: Well, dig in.
Elder R: Looks great!
Ashley: Thanks. Oh, the broccoli has poppy seeds on it. My mom made it for my birthday and I really enjoyed it. We hope you both like it.
Elder R: I've never had poppy seeds on broccoli. I"m excited to try it.
Elder M: I've never had broccoli before.
Everyone at the table: ????Befuddled expressions all around???
Ashley: Oh.
Momentary silence
Carl: And the chicken is stuffed with feta. Yum.

I have never met anyone who has never eaten broccoli before. I was shocked. To Elder M's credit, he tried 3 spears of broccoli yumminess but did not go back for more. I am not sure he liked his first foray into broccoli but I do hope that he tries it again because it is so good. At the end of dinner we also noticed a leftover piece of stuffed chicken (I only made 4). We made several conjectures as to why li'l Elder M passed on that delightful dish. Here are our top 5 reasons:
1. Lactose intolerant
2. Vegetarian
3. Nervous stomach (it was his first day in the field)
4. Prefers red meat
5. Wasn't hungry and didn't want to waste food

Carl and I had a good chuckle after dinner about the whole situation. Who knew broccoli and chicken would be exotic foods!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hilarious. They no longer allow missionaries to eat dinner with members in our mission :( I miss it. I am always looking for ways to dress up veggies, will you post your brocoli recipe?

Shayla Taylor said...

That was funny. Thanks for the chuckle this morning. Definitely post the broccoli recipe. :)

April said...

Woah nelly! Clearly this elder must prefer instant mac and cheese, poor guy. Way to go with the meal--quite a triumph, I must say. Sounds delish.