So last Thursday my throat started feeling a little sore but it wasn't enough to concern me so I went on with life as usual. Friday my throat hurt little more but Carl was going to be gone all day so I soldiered on. By Friday night I couldn't swallow without pain and my tonsils were so swollen that I couldn't breathe properly when I laid down. Falling asleep and staying that way proved extremely difficult. By Saturday morning my throat hurt so badly that I avoided swallowing and eating. But Carl was at school all day so I plowed through. The kids and I went to grocery shopping, to a birthday party and ran various other errands. By the end of the day I felt like a truck had run over me, my throat burned and I couldn't look down because my swollen glands made that too painful. Not being able to look down made it hard to see what the kids were doing at various points throughout the day.
And then Sunday came. Carl had meetings before church I had to teach Sunday school so I couldn't stay home but I thought I might collapse from pain and exhaustion. Fortunately Carl gave me a blessing and I made it through the day. I even managed to make an awesome Father's Day lunch and dinner.
I called the doctor early Monday and got right in to see her. She took one look in my throat and told me I had strep throat. Strep throat, at my age? She took a throat swab and the result was positive for Strep. Boy howdy, strep throat at my age is awful. Thankfully I was able to get antibiotics started soon after my appointment and I felt better the next day.
My throat still hurts but I can swallow and sleep soundly so I feel like a brand new woman. Being sick is always awful but it is even more awful when one is a mom because there is no down time. Even thought I was so sick I just wanted to collapse into bed and sleep for at least 12 hours, I couldn't. But my sick face experience reminded my how grateful I am for the priesthood and for blessings. Seriously, if it wasn't for the blessing Carl gave me, I don't know how I would have made it. I am also grateful for modern medicine and antibiotics that can cure our illnesses. Hopefully I have paid my sick dues for a while because I loathe being sick.
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh, so sorry! I had the strep throat earlier this month (and probably gave it to you...even more sorry about that!) I was able to catch it early, though, so I didn't have quite as terrible experience as you did. It just sounds miserable!
Post a Comment