Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Karma Points

For many years I have had two conflicting desires:  1) to donate my hair and 2) to have long hair.  Since both desires cannot simultaneously occur, I always pick the long hair.  There is one caveat though.  Since I am not the most patient person in the world and I love getting hair cuts, having hair past my shoulders has usually come courtesy of my clip in extension.  But Omaha has once again come to the rescue.  We have been here for about a year and in that time I have only had my hair cut a few times because I couldn't find a stylist I loved.  My hair reached new and exciting lengths but it spent most of its time in a pony tail so Joe wouldn't grab it or spit up in it.

A few months ago I found a stylist that did an adequate job cutting my hair.  Last week I decided to cut off my long locks to avoid wearing a frumpy ponytail every day.  So my stylist and I looked through several hair books and magazines until we found a nice shoulder length cut that was equal parts stylish and easy to style.  Right before she made her first cut she uttered a fateful phrase:  "You know, if you cut it a bit shorter you could donate your hair."  Trumpets sounded!  I figured since I was already making a drastic change, a little more hair off couldn't hurt.

So I said okay.  She puts my hair in pigtails and got out the biggest pair of hair scissors I have ever seen.  Then she lopped of the left pigtail.  I won't lie, I had to close my eyes when she did it.  A shorter 'do wasn't scary to me, I was simply remembering all the work and the many years it took to get my hair to be that long.  After she cut off the left side I decided to watch her cut off the right side because there was really no going back at that point.

She evened out my hair and added a little style and I went on my merry way.  I came home and Carl's eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw me.  He had never seen my hair so short and it took him a little bit to process the change.  I was still in short hair shock so I didn't notice that my hair was uneven until the next day when I tried to style it.  So I went back to the salon and to a different stylist who fixed my hair. 

I am still getting used to my short hair but I must say that I growing more fond of my new  look every day.  Even more important though, is that I am really glad that I was able to donate my hair.  I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I think about it.  Someone else actually needed that 9 inches of hair way more than I did.  I am so blessed(great husband, beautiful and healthy boys, a bright future) that donating my hair to someone who is going through some hard times is really not a huge sacrifice.  Plus, as a dear friend told me, I definitely got serious karma points.

And now, the new look:

My long hair(it was a lot longer than it looks in this picture):


The first disastrous cut will not be shown.

The final look:

2 comments:

Erin said...

it's funny to me that Carl doesn't remember you with short hair because that's how I picture you! You're after picture isn't showing up on my computer but I'm sure it's gorgeous!

Sarah McK said...

I can't believe your hair was long enough to donate! I cut off more than 9 inches once, but my stylist didn't think to mention donating it to me and I didn't think about it. Oh well. The final picture is blank! Want to see it!!!