Friday, April 23, 2010

The Happiness Project

I am reading this fantastic book by called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I love it.  Rubin decided to embark on a year-long quest to maximize her happiness.  She says that while she was content and happy with her life, she realized she could be even happier if she tweaked her attitude and a few other areas in her life.

I am not really in a place right now to start my own happiness project but I am trying out a few of Rubin's suggestions.  Among other things, she mentioned her "one minute rule"-if something takes one minute or less to do, she does that task right then, no excuses and no postponing.  Carl and I decided to implement that rule in our home and the results are pretty remarkable.  Our house is tidier and I somehow feel freer to do more things, both at home and around town.  I am amazed at how changing something so small can have such a profound impact on my personal happiness and my attitude. 

While I don't agree with everything Rubin says, I think her overall approach to finding greater personal fulfillment is spot on.  The book has helped me think about what brings me the most happiness and joy as well as how my attitude and actions can affect other people.  I'm not usually one to recommend things my blog but I have enjoyed this book so much that I feel like I should spread the word.  I hope someone out there enjoys it as much as I did.

3 comments:

Sarah McK said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the one minute rule idea!

April said...

Good idea. Thanks. How are ya? I request pictures of you.

Angelavon said...

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!