Massive amounts of change swiftly approach my little family. Besides the new bambino, Carl will be graduating a semester early from UMSL. His early graduation means that we will be moving to Omaha so that Carl can attend Creighton University and get a PSM/MBA.
While I am so grateful for this amazing opportunity, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Carl will most likely move to Omaha at the beginning of June and I will stay here until after the baby is born. We have about a month to arrange all the details, pack, and move. Coordinating the logistics is intimidating but I am more surprised at my mix of emotions. I am excited for a new adventure but I am really sad to leave the Lou and my dear friends. Carl and I feel that we really need to be in Omaha right now so I have a sense of peace about the whole thing but I am still a little anxious. I think everyone has felt like that at one point or another.
Now I require advice. Please give me your best moving-to-a-new-place advice and if anyone has the inside scoop on Omaha, please fill me in on that, too.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
1. Nebraska is CHEEP compared to Cali. Thats all I know there. We were looking into going to University of Nebraska-Lincoln for PhD school.
2. SO excited for you and changes. :) When you go, just jump right in and explore.
My best friend did her masters degree in Omaha and loved it there. She was single, so that's a slightly different experience, but if you'd like I can give you her email and she can give you some advice or hook you up with her married friends who still live there and may know doctors and stuff.
I felt this way about moving to St. Louis. I was WAY ready to get out of Logan, Utah, but it was still a big, intimidating change. Honestly, I didn't have many friends left in Logan b/c they'd all moved on, but my friends and MY SISTERS were in the SLC/Provo area, and I had a good job and a cheap apartment. Hard things to leave. But it has definitely turned out for the best. I will tell you this bit of encouragement that will likely apply to you and Carl: moving away from family and the expectations of time and attention that come along with living near them was the best thing that EVER happened to our marriage! We'd been 10 minutes away from his family for the first 2 1/2 years of our marriage, and even though they're very nice people, it was still too much for a freshly married couple. It was so wonderful to get away from everyone and establish our OWN family and to do only the things that WE want to do! You will love that. (Aside from not having babysitters.) Let me know if I can watch Max for you as you get stuff ready. Callum loves to have him over!
Ok so I have some some good moving tips (I have done it what, about 6 times in my married life now) maybe it won't work for you but it did wonders for me and made unpacking so much easier! I numbered all of my boxes and labeled what room they should go in the new place. I also tired to write down all of the things I put in the boxes (I know its kind of time consuming but definitely worth it). As I went I wrote everything on a form I have saved on my computer, I can send it to you if you want, to keep track of all of the boxes to make sure nothing got lost on the way.
Moving away is one of the most interesting experiences I've ever had even though mine was sort of short lived, it was so hard at first I missed my family soo much but then I made some amazing friends and some how I made it through as I sure you will too.
and now reading back I realize that you weren't looking for moving tips but now you have them none the less. So moving-to-a-new-place advice: lean on your spouse for anything and everything, I know its hard with a hubby who is a full time student but for a while they are the only thing your going to have.
Okay, since I live in Omaha I just have to say Yeah Yeah your coming to Omaha! That out of my system I would say that moving to a new place can be scary but the church is the same no matter where you go (well, the doctrine at least, if you know what I mean) and the members here are great! They have become our family. I can't wait to show you around. I hope you love Omaha as much as I do!
So pretty much I didn't want to move to IL at all. My family had just moved to Utah and I was feeling comfortable being surrounded by family again. But, like you, I knew that is where the Lord wanted me to be. At first moving was hard. Not knowing anyone is hard especially when you're leaving good friends and family behind. but it has turned out to be such a wonderful blessing. Just keep looking for the little bundles of joy and tender mercies that are all around you that the Lord blesses you with and Omaha will be a great adventure.
I always remind myself to give myself a year before I really truly feel comfortable with things. Just give it a year. I'm so excited for you guys, and sad too. I'm so glad UMSL came around to help you out.
I was going to say that Alicia will be there, but she already did. We have family in Omaha, and have been several times. We liked it there. I'm sure you'll do well. Like Shay said, jump on in and get involved in your ward and community. Ask for help from the RS. Build a network in your new area, and make sure to call me, when you are well-rested enough to talk. :)
P.S. Also, congrats! Way to go, Carl!
Continue our lunch-date tradition. It's hard to make new friends in a new place, but take the initiative to invite people into your life and home. It's the easiest way to let people know that you are there and ready for new friendships.
Congratulations on such huge accomplishments and changes! We sure will miss you!
My best moving advice is to be outgoing. Put yourself out there first. Introduce yourself instead of waiting to be introduced. Bear your testimony on the first fast sunday at church so people know who you are and know that you are new. I know this is going to be really challenging with a newborn, because if you're anything like me you like to hibernate for a couple months, but do your best! Making friends is the best medicine to adjust through all the changes:)
Post a Comment