Thursday, April 5, 2012

Physical therapist or...

Physical terrorist? It's tough to tell sometimes.  To be fair, my dear friend who is a phyical therapist calls herself a physical terrorist in jest.  After my surgery, I had an allergic reaction to the sticky stuff used to hold on the steri-strips and the resulting rash and swelling meant that I lost all pretty much all the mobility in my big toe so I started physical therapy to help me relearn how to walk like a normal person.  I promise you that physical therapy on one's scar adhesed and swollen big toe is very painful.  Since I go in quite often to see Katie, my physical therapist, we are now besties.  While Katie is breaking through said layers of scar tissue and restoring mobility to my joints, we chat about our weekend plans, swap make up tips, talk about favorite Omaha hot spots and the like.  If it wasn't for the searing pain shooting through my foot, it would be like a girl's night.  In all honesty, I am very grateful for physical therapy because it is helping me a lot.  Katie estimates that I will need about a month and half of intensive therapy to regain enough mobility to walk comfortably and hopefully run again.  It's at the time when one's body doesn't function properly that true appreciation for Heavenly Father's masterful skills is gained.  I appreciate my good health and ability to exercise so much more now than I did before the surgery and ensuing complications.  Fortunately, my limitations are temporary and minor when compared to the trials other face but this experience has taught me gratitude for what I have and compassion for others. 

No comments: