Thursday, August 11, 2011

What I need

I absolutely need a few things right now and I need your help to find them.  Here they are:

1.  A fantastic book that does not have a sequel.  I just want to read a book that has an ending that doesn't require me to purchase another book (or ten) to satisfy my need to know what happens to the protagonist.

2.  Some new music.  I am trying to branch out but my tree is having a hard time growing.

3.  A shirt that (a) has sleeves, (b) is not sheer, and (c) is not a t-shirt.  I am tired of wearing at least 2 shirts to make one appropriate top.  There has to be a clothing company that makes clothing that is fresh and not covered in ridiculous amounts of embellishments.  Don't misunderstand, I love a little something on my shirt to keep it interesting but I do not want to look like I have been bedazzled.

If you have any ideas, leave a comment or e-mail me.  Thanks.  You are all gems.

11 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

Princess Academy or Book of a Thousand Days. Both are by Shannon Hale and they are great! :) I love reading your posts!

Karen said...

I totally agree about the book recommendations above. I really enjoyed those reads a couple years ago. There is also The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck) and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See). I have the book called Three Against Hitler you're welcome to borrow. I love the book, Mrs. Mike (also have it). I have a few young chapter books that would be fun (Tale of Despereaux, and some other ones from my Children's lit class). You're welcome to come over and see what we've got.

I don't think I'm very much help with the music and shirt department. I struggle there, too!

Erin said...

I just finished reading "The Help" by Kathryn Sockett and really enjoyed it. I also read "Room" by Emma Donoghue, which was alright. I think you would like both though!

anorthowife said...

I'm going to echo Karen and say that The Good Earth is one of my all time favorite books! Pearl Buck has written a lot of books and I've loved them all.

And i also LOVE Lisa See. In addition to Snow Flower (a must read), Peony in Love is also great!

oooh! and a fun and EASY read is A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle. You'll read it fast and laugh the entire time (it'll also make you hungry)!

Of course, I would also recommend Anna Karenina, and if you havent read Doctor Zhivago than shame on you!!!!

do you want me to keep going? because i could go forever!

Carlos and Flash said...

Clearly we all have great taste in literature because I have read almost all the books you ladies have mentioned. Thanks for your help, keep the suggestions coming!

Sarah McK said...

Your friends have great taste in books. I also love The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and the book These is My Words. Pretty much choose adult books. The stupid trilogy fad is a young adult fiction thing. It's annoying.

anorthowife said...

ahhh.... but have you read "And Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer? It's a monstrous looking book - but don't be scared by it's 1100+ pages!!!

it's a very EASY and LIGHT read. it's a multi-generation book, so you start with one set of characters and they get older and you meet their kids, etc. my MIL gave me this book for my birthday a few years ago and i LOVED it! it's a very "clean" book, which is really nice and you just get sucked into the story!

if you've read the others, try this one!

Just Us said...

Well, I don't have any books to recommend. All I have read for the past 6 years are school books, some of which are pretty good, but in general not too delightful. I would recommend Willa Cather, though, as she is from Omaha, if you haven't read any of hers. I'm pretty sure none of them are series, and most have something to do with the midwest.

As for clothing, I have found that Down East usually has pretty good stuff, especially since they have merged with Mod Bod.

Music, I am still way behind the times and listen to stuff like Collective Soul and U2. If you like country, we like Darius Rucker. We have found that the best way to find new music that you like for free is to try Pandora.com. They have quite a variety of music.

Mindy said...

The Diary of Mattie Spencer by Sandra Dallas. Only read it if you're ready to cry your guts out, but it's so so so good.

I agree about Down East, and I also agree 100% about the problems of trying to find a comfortable, washable, wearable, modest shirt that you don't have to wear three different types of tanks underneath. Ridiculous!

Music: I hear that Coldplay has a new album out. How about Paramore? Ingrid Michaelson is a personal favorite. And I hate to say it, but the second Twilight movie (New Moon) has a great soundtrack. I'm not a huge fan of the movie or books, but I do love that soundtrack.

Maggie said...

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. Life of Pi is another I enjoyed.

April said...

What's wrong with a little bedazzling now and then? :) I hear you. Loud and clear.