Friday, February 11, 2011

Trends for our furry friends

Yesterday night Carl and I actually went on a real date, thanks to our friend, Teri, who graciously offered to watch the kiddos.  We went out to dinner at a restaurant in the trendy part of Omaha, Old Market.  After a scrumptious and gluten free dinner, I cajoled Carl into accompanying me into a fun little boutique next to our restaurant where I was accosted by a dog wearing a coat.  In all fairness, it was only 8 degrees outside and the dog in question was a Yorkie.  I was in no eminent danger of having my leg ripped off or anything but Billie, the dog named after Ms. Holliday, was nearly crushed beneath my feet a couple of times.  

As it turns out, the dog belonged to a frequent costumer with serious purchasing power so the boutique owners indulged this lady's four-legged shopping companion.  Being me, I decided to strike up a conversation with Billie's mommy(she refers to herself this way).

Me:  You're dog is so cute.

Her:  Thanks!  She's my baby!

Me:  Well, she's one lucky dog.  I love her little coat.

Her:  Thanks.  I made it.  I design dog clothes.

Me:  Wow.  Good for you.

Her:  It's real you know.

Me:  Puzzled look.  (In my head I was desperately trying to figure out what was real.  The dog, the boutique, her love for her pooch...)

Her:  The coat, it's real.  It's real Chinchilla.

Me:  (Jaw hitting the floor)  Oh.  Billie must be warm.

Friends, a human-sized Chinchilla fur coat costs anywhere from $8,000 to $15,000.  The dog's coat probably cost  $300, at least.  Billie the Yorkie was better dressed than me!  How does that even happen!?!  As Carl so aptly put it after we left, Billie hit the doggie lottery.

Even if I were an animal lover, which I am not, and had a great deal of money, I don't think I would dress my dog in fur.   Does anyone else out there find the idea of a dog wearing a pricey fur coat crazy? 

2 comments:

Sarah McK said...

Um, ridiculous. But hilarious!

Karen said...

totally crazy