Second: There has been a rumor floating around in the ether that I didn't have a good experience on my mission nor did I enjoy it. I loved my mission and I am grateful that I was able to go and serve the Lord in that special capacity. I learned a lot about myself, about the Gospel, and about hard work. It is true that my mission experience was hard, but every mission is hard at one point or another. Bottom line, I loved my mission and I would not trade that experience or that time for anything in the world. I think about my mission every day and each memory brings a smile to my face.
Third: We went to Kansas City a few weekends ago and it was awesome. For some reason, I have always thought that K.C. was boring and a little bit country, if you know what I mean. The other weekend I just needed a break from Omaha so we packed the kids up and made the drive. As it turns out, there is a lot to do in Kansas City and it seems like a great place to raise a family. Since Carl will finish his MBS in July and his MBA in December, we have starting scouting out possible permanent locations for our family so Carl knows where to look for a job. As an aside, seeing the light at the end of our educational tunnel thrills me to no end. The prospect of Carl having a normal job with normal hours makes me smile. Now, back to Kansas City...we did so many things that I can't possibly describe them so I will hit the highlights.
We arrived in time for the Chinese New Year Celebration at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. Since all things Asian intrigue me, attending the celebration topped my to-do list. Max loved the Chinese yo-yo exhibition but did not really care for the Lion Dance.
The next day we went to Science City at Union Station, where Max managed to find the one thing in the entire place the we have at home: a train table. We eventually convinced him to dig for dino bones but the model trains soon caught his eye.
We also went to Kaleidoscope at the Hallmark Crown Center. At Kaleidoscope, kids can create whatever they want using Hallmark and Crayola products and the best part is that it's free! Max absolutely loved painting with water colors and trying to use scissors by himself.
Joseph seemed to enjoy himself as well, even though he spent a good portion of our mini-vacation in his car seat. Fortunately for us, he is a pretty chill kid.
We did a few other things too but I think these were the highlights of our trip. As previously mentioned, we kind of went on this trip last minute so we packed up and left Omaha quickly. In my packing haste, I remembered everyone's swimsuits(for the indoor pool at the hotel) and a variety of treats, but I forgot to pack my glasses, contact case, and lens solution. I noticed they were missing as I was getting ready for bed so I slept with my contacts in. I woke up the next morning with a searing pain in my left eye. It was a bit swollen and bright red; I couldn't even blink without my substantial pain.
So, I took out my contacts, washed my eye out with water, and had Carl give me a blessing. I am so grateful he has the priesthood because the pain in my eye subsided almost as soon as he said amen. The problem of the pain was solved but I couldn't see anything without my glasses. After digging around in the diaper bag, I found my prescription sunglasses so I wore those pretty much all day. Unfortunately, it was overcast so I looked pretty foolish walking around wearing sunglasses on a supremely gray day. Carl, being the awesome and selfless husband that he is, let me wear his glasses when we were inside so I could see. We worked out a system wherein we would trade off wearing his regular glasses whilst indoors and I would wear my sunglasses outside. Despite the glasses fiasco, we had a wonderful time and we will definitely be making a return trip.







No comments:
Post a Comment