Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Challenge

There is this show on the Fine Living Network or Food Network(maybe both) called Challenge.  3 chefs compete to fulfill the judges particular challenge from start to finish in 8 hours.  The challenges are meant to push the chef's skills and creativity to the next level.  I think my favorite challenge involved recreating one of the wonders of the world out of chocolate.  I never knew that highly skilled and much sought after chocolate artists existed, but the do and they are amazingly talented.  Here's an example
(not the best pictures ever, but you get the idea):


I realize the Statue of Liberty is not a wonder of the world but I couldn't find any pictures from that challenge.  These are pretty amazing; the Statue of Liberty is made entirely of chocolate.

This week in my dinner menu I took a cue from Challenge and decided to make one dish this week that would challenge me.  I decided to make a whole chicken.  This may not sound like a big deal to some, but it is to me.  First off, I hate touching raw meat and making a roasted chicken involves rubbing an herb/spice mixture on the bird---yuck!  Also, I have never made a roasted chicken before and the whole prospect seems daunting to me.  Well, there are many more reasons why this is a challenge for me but I'll stop there.  My goal for tonight is to make roasted chicken and cauliflower mashed potatoes--if all goes well, I am posting a picture of my chicken (as soon as I find that stinking USB cord).

No comments: