I have been one crafty mama lately. I have been giving the old sewing machine quite the workout and I love it. My current project involves lots and lots of ribbons and trim. You see, I love dresses and skirts but I have found that hemlines are creeping higher and higher. Enter Vintage Hem. While I think their products are fantastic, my budget didn't agree. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I zoomed in on their pictures, figured out what was going on, and made my own slips. To my great surprise, the whole process was easy and cost about $10. I happened to have some leftover fabric and elastic laying about so I bought some tulle and went to town. My version is a little bit different than the one on the website but I think it works even better. I made mine with a few more layers so it wasn't as sheer. I wore my tulle slip on Sunday and it was a hit. I currently have 2 more slips under construction and they will most likely be equally awesome.
The great thing is that these slips add new life to old skirts. Since the waist is rather stretchy, the slip can be pulled down lower on the hips so the decorative edge will show beneath a longer skirt. I forgot to take a picture of my masterpiece but as soon as I finish the other two, I will show off all three. If there is any interest, I would be happy to post a little how-to guide. Let me know in the comments.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
uhmmm... HELLO!!!
of COURSE i want a little "how-to"!!! did you really have to ask?!?! i cant wait to see what yours look like!
Post a Comment