Monday, March 7, 2011

Milestones

Certain even ts in one's life require celebration, or at least a post commemorating the occasion.  Over the weekend, we have had three such events transpire.

Event #1:

Since I started learning about cake decorating, my end goal has been to make a beautiful wedding cake.  I have taken a few classes and made a few birthday cakes but this past Friday I made my first wedding cake for my friend, Deb.  I was thrilled that she asked me and even more thrilled when I delivered the cake.  It turned out to be a lot more work than I had anticipated but I enjoyed the experience.  In addition to making the wedding cake, I also made kitchen caked to feed all the guests.  I made 6 quarts of frosting and I used all of it.  I definitely need a break from buttercream.  The cake was, however, lovely.

 I think I am most proud of the bow on top that I made out of fondant and hand painted to match the ribbon on the cake.  It took forever but the end result was worth it.

This was the hardest part:
Yep, I decorated the top tier of the cake with Max sitting on my lap.  I am just making guides for the dots right now but I did pipe all the dots with him on my lap.  Surprisingly enough, he sat pretty still throughout the process.

Event #2:
Max made the transition to his big boy bed.  Carl and I hoped that Max would stay in his crib for a few months longer but he has recently started sticking his leg through the slats on the crib and getting it stuck.  He only fell out of his bed once last night and he never got out of bed during the night.  I am a little nervous about nap time today but hopefully it will go well.  I just can't believe how quickly my little boy is growing up.  Everything seems to be moving at warp speed these days and I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the sweet moments that I have with both of my precious boys.

Event #3:
Joseph decided to crawl on his hands and knees.  He has been doing the army crawl for a while but he just figured out how to get around on all fours. He is fast and once he gets an object in his sight, he is determined to get it.  Joe brings a lot of joy to our home with his easy-going personality.  He is truly the best brother for Max.

7 comments:

Sarah McK said...

Beautiful cake! Way to go! I can't believe that bow!!

April said...

Wow, Ash! That's amazing!

Isn't it crazy how quickly they grow up?

Teri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teri said...

the cake was very beautiful-well done! You missed out on a lot of really nice compliments! It was the first thing people noticed when they walked in the room.

I can't believe Joseph is already crawling-way to go, Joseph! Ian hasn't put too much effort into crawling yet. Actually, in all honesty, I am not really in a big a hurry for Ian to crawl either-it will happen soon enough.

I remember with Meili (first baby) I was always worrying about how tough it would be for her to go through the transitions of growing up. learning to eat solid foods, bottle to sippy cup, crib to toddler bed, diaper to potty training, no naps-just to find out that she was the one that usually would initiate the transition. I had to laugh at myself for being so worried. I thought that she was going to be the one who struggled with the new adjustments, not Brandon and I.
But It is crazy how fast our little ones are growing up!

Just Us said...

The cake looks so amazing! I love it!

anorthowife said...

holy cow ashley! that cake is AMAZING!!! you really have gotten to be an incredible decorator. le sigh. and im positive that it was as delicious as it was beautiful. hmm...

we had the same crib issue with matilda last month. gross. her legs are just too chubby and she started twisting to try and get them free. scott saw that and freaked out so we took down the front rail and put up a guard. but she's 15 months, not 2+. you lucky girl!

and every time i see a picture of joseph i freak out. he was so tiny when i last saw him (and you)! but i guess he's really growing up! seems like max is teaching him the ropes of being a big kid. woo hoo!

Karen said...

Your cake really was amazing! Good job.