For a great while now a few of my most trusted friends have been spouting the virtues of green smoothies. I have never been too keen on trying them out because spinach and bananas blended together sounded kind of gross. The other night I decided to throw caution to the wind and whip one up because I am always hungry because I am nursing. So I looked up some recipes online and decided to try one that included cashews, which I love, bananas, spinach, and natural sweetener. Happily, I had all the ingredients in my pantry, except the bananas which were in the freezer so I threw everything in the blender and made myself a smoothie.
It was definitely greener than I expected but I was sure my concoction would taste divine. I took one sip and was instantly transported back to my mission and not in a good way. Anyone who has served a mission or lived in a foreign country knows that you have to eat some truly strange things. There was one experience that trumped everything else. It was a hot summer day and my companion and I tracted into this nice Guatemalan woman who invited inside and offered us a drink. She gave my companion what appeared to be a can of fruit juice and she gave me another kind of juice. I read the label but didn't know what exactly I would be drinking. I popped the top and took a long drink and then the horror began. I was drinking what had to be the foulest juice drink known to mankind. It tasted like nothing I had ever had before and I wasn't sure how I was going to swallow the vile substance but I managed to do it eventually. Then I realized I still had 11 ounces to go and I almost started to cry. I did manage to get the whole can down without tossing my proverbial cookies. I never did figure out what I drank until last night. Apparently I drank cashew juice on that fateful day and last night I sampled it again. It still tastes just as foul as it did then. I had toss out the entire batch because I couldn't make myself drink it and Carl doesn't like in any form. I will try my hand at making a green smoothie again but next time I will forgo the cashews.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Haha. What a story! Well Ann just uses the divine pre-ready Yoplait Tripleberry smoothie and adds spinach. You need the sweet for sure!
eek. Sorry there. Try just fruit, spinach and water.
thank you. i laughed really hard. i feel ya about the nursing and so hungry thing--- Evelyn is 5 months and humongous and i can never eat enough to feel full. worth it, but tiring.
Hey, good job for trying. And I'd agree with April. My favorite is frozen banana(I chop them up when they're still good, just going brown and put them in a ziploc baggie), spinach, kale, apple, orange, lemon juice and a cup or 2 of frozen mixed berries(they turn the smoothie purple). Better luck next time. Love ya lady!
Post a Comment