Monday, November 30, 2009

Irrational Fears

Everyone has irrational fears.  My current most irrational fear is cyclical in nature.  Every spring and summer this particular fear seems to vanish until fall and winter rear their ugly heads.   

A ton of leaves collect at the base of the stairs that lead up to my porch throughout the fall and well into the winter.  And when I say a ton, I really mean it; sometimes the leaves fill up the space in front of the stairs and spill onto the step itself.  This usually isn't a big deal unless it's raining, icy, snowing, or windy--oh wait, that means it's a problem almost everyday in St. Louis.  The leaves make the stairs really slick and more than once I have almot taken a major tumble while attempting to go up or down the stairs.  But slipping on the leaves and breaking bones, dropping Max, or giving myself a concussion is not my fear.  Oh no, I refuse to step in the leaves in front of the bottom stair because I am convinced a creature of some sort is hiding in them.  I told you, this is an irrational fear.  I am just positive that there are rats or rabid squirrels at the very least waiting to attack the first foot that disturbs their hiding place amidst the leaves.  I usually let Carl step in the leaves first(just to make sure nothing pops out) and then I step over the leaves on to the step.  Carl never says anything about my antics, he just shakes his head and helps my jump over the leaves or takes Max so I don't drop him. 

My plan is to step in the leaves before the end of the winter just to prove to myself that I can.  Really, there is no better way to conquer irrational fears than to face them head on.  Now it's your turn.  Am I the only one with irrational fears?  I doubt that I am.  Leave a comment if you would like to share your most irrational fear.

5 comments:

Alisha Stamper said...

oh my! now I am probably going to be scared of piles of leaves too! EEK!

mine is kinda sillier than yours. because lets be honest, there could realistically be things in your leaves. I however, never like to walk over grates (the big kinds in cities, on the ground... like the ninja turtles had their pizzas delivered into)... because I always am afraid there will be ALLIGATORS in there... seriously. I always think about it.

Sarah McK said...

YOu are so funny! Why not just clear off the leaves?

anorthowife said...

dont worry ashley... i have a deadly fear of peanut butter. and no, i dont have a peanut allergy. i have an irrational fear that i'll eat peanut butter and it will get caught in my mouth and i'll find myself without milk and will suffocate because the peanut butter is blocking my airways. im never feeding matilda a pb&j for that very reason.

Kev and Chels said...

i think i have about a million but this one is included. i would fear a snake in there the most. once a squirrel did pop out of our dumpster so now i'm extra aware/paranoid. you just can't be too careful:)

Mindy said...

Spiff has told me that my irrational fears are about bugs. I still think that they're completely rational. Bug are going to "get in my skin and lay eggs". Especially ear wigs. I hate picking corn because of it.

I hope you conquer this fear. And I also hope that a creature doesn't run out of the pile the One Time you decide to step on it.