She did a great job even though I was a little sad to see his long hair disappeat snip by snip. His haircut just reminded me how quickly he is growing up and how much he changes from day to day. While I absolutely love watching him learn and progress, I sometimes miss the tiny baby that liked to cuddle with me and couldn't turn over the garbage can in the blink of an eye. I try my best to be fully present and enjoy every moment instead of wishing for something else but sometimes the most unexpected things tug at my heartstrings. Motherhood, I have found out, is a complex mixture of emotions that has resulted in one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. And today Max also happened to come away with a very stylish haircut.
As an aside, Cool Cuts gave us a "First Haircut Memory Kit" that included a lock of Max's hair. I also have a spot for said lock in a his baby book. I am feeling ambivilant about keeping his hair. I don't have a lock of hair from my first haircut so the tradition seems a wee bit odd to me. What do you say, fair reader? Keep it or throw it away? Please share your thoughts and feelings in the comments!

5 comments:
my parents kept my hair in my baby book. It was neat for them because I started out strawberry blond, so when I was in high school (I think) I got them another lock of my hair to show how I'd grown over the years. They kept the hair in an envelope in my baby book so it wasn't like they had to constantly look at it.
i don't know. someone gave me a thing to keep a little of wallace's hair, and i kept it, but i haven't done anything with it yet. I kinda feel like it is strange too.... especially when I see the nutty things pioneers used to do with hair... bracelets and such... kinda gross.
It may be cute in a baby book, but no need to store it in two places. I gave Callum his first haircut a long time ago because his hair rubbed off everywhere but the top, so he had some weird long hair on top. I didn't think to save a lock of hair and my mother-in-law was appalled. :)
What a great hair cut! I have kept both kids first haircut hairs, but they're both just in a little envelope in their file folder in storage. I figure someday it might be cool to see what they started out as. That is unless we keep moving a lot. Then I will probably end up throwing both envelopes away.
we never did any of the "memory book" stuff in my family, and honestly, that's not something i feel super jazzed about doing -- so if you dont want to worry about keeping it then dont! i mean, you've blogged about it, so there IS a record of when it happened AND you have photographic evidence. that sounds like plenty to me!
Post a Comment